Sunday, June 3, 2012

Ammon Steven Chase, the birthing story

I know it's been forever since I've posted, but I've been a little busy. This post is long, so if you want you can Skip down to all the cute pics.

My due date was Thursday April 26. With my third baby I never imagined I would make it to that date or be late. I was not very happy about going to my doctors appointment the day before I was due. I was almost 3cm dilated, but was having no contractions what so ever. Late Wednesday night we got a call that Alan's Grandpa Chase had passed away. (I will tell this part of the story later). We now knew we were on the clock to have this baby before Alan's mom had to leave for the funeral. By Thursday afternoon the mood in the house was not that great, we were grieving and there were no signs of this baby coming.
My friend and relief society president Becci called and asked if I would like her to come over and have her strip my membranes, she is a midwife. Due to our time constraints and the fact that we were just ready to have this baby we said yes. She came over around 4. While she was checking me she felt for where his head was and found out that he was down low, but his hand was stuck down by his head and that was probably why I hadn't gone into labor. She stripped my membranes and gave me something to help him move his hand. I had 2 contractions later that night and then nothing. Friday came and no baby. Alan's mom left Saturday morning and there was still no baby.
I went into labor at 2:10am Sunday morning. After being in labor for 5 hours we woke up Alan's brother Mark, (who thank goodness decided to stay instead of going to the funeral) to watch the kids and we left for the hospital at about 7:30am. We got to the hospital and found out I was only 4cm dilated. I was not very happy, since my plan was to have this baby all natural. I asked to be sent home. We went home, played games and just hung out till we were ready to go back. Which ended up not being the best idea. Contractions were a little uncomfortable, but not to bad. 2pm came and I had made it through 12 hours of labor at home and no pain medication. We played one more game and then decided to go to the hospital. My contractions were about 5 to 6 min. apart and the hospital was only 15 min away, so we thought we would be okay.
It was about 4pm and we were on our way to the hospital when I reached the point in labor where I should be pushing. I was not prepared for how painful these contraction could be and ended up screaming with each one. We go to the hospital at about 4:10. I had Alan go get a wheelchair for me because there was no way I was going to be able to walk. Everything happened so quickly after this. The baby was coming right then and there was no way to stop it.  They had Alan in the waiting room, but I guess they realized that there wasn't going to be any waiting and went to go get him. Alan said he started walking to the room when they told him you need to run. When Alan came in I told him he probably wouldn't want to stay, but he did anyways and I'm sure he wishes he hadn't. I'm not going into full detail about what happened next, but I did have an other fourth degree and was told by my doctor that if we were to have any more children it would done so by a c-section.
Needless to say it was a very traumatic birth, but I feel somewhat okay about it because I did it all natural.
Ammon was born on Sunday April 29, 2012 at 4:19pm. He weighed 7 pounds 10 ounces and was almost 21 inches long. His body temp was a little low so they kept him under the heating lamp for a while, but other then that he was perfect.






There's that troublesome hand. He still likes having it up by his head.

No comments: