My family and I are generally healthy people. We have the occasional cold or flu but nothing to big that we can't handle with out going to the doctors, but I know something could come up and so I did the responsible thing when we first moved to Texas and found a doctor. I hate choosing a doctor there is no simple way of doing it, but just by trial and error. I wish I could just gather up all the doctors in my area in one place and do an interview with each one till I find the one I feel comfortable with.
I had this great idea to have our family go to a family practitioner, that's who we saw in Rexburg, it was great. I found him when I was pregnant with Luke, he was my OBGYN, then Luke's doctor and if needed he could also see Alan and I when we were sick, a one stop doctor. I like having a doctor that knows my entire family, that knows all of our medical history, so I began my search.
I used Luke as my guinea pig. He still needed wellness check ups, so I thought what better way to find a doctor. I found one and took Luke in. It took a hour in the waiting room to see him, 45 minutes in the actual room, for just a 15 min appointment, he was a nice enough guy, but I didn't feel comfortable. We went a couple more times and then that was it. I didn't worry about it again till Luke got sick and that time I just took him to an urgent care. At this point I was pregnant and having a hard time finding a doctor for me, I couldn't find I family practitioner here in Texas that did pregnancies. I was informed that the hospital would want a doctor on record for our baby before we could take her home, so the search began again.
I called a list of 10 FPs and the last one I called said yes they see newborns on up and would be happy to see our family, yay finally, but there was a catch though, they didn't do immunizations I would have to go some where else to get Samantha's shots done. I told them that was fine I did that in rexburg with Luke because Luke was on medicaid and it was easier for the doctor to send us to the local free clinic, that by the way also took regular private insurance so any one could go, its not so simple here in San Antonio.
I had to call around to a whole bunch of clinics because they all told me that they only served low income families and couldn't take my insurance go figure. I finally found one that wasn't to far from us. The first time I went their computers were down and the second time they were closed. Life got crazy and I didn't really think about Samantha shots. She has been seeing the doctor, but not for regular wellness check ups.
Samantha is seven months old and hasn't had any shots except for the one at the hospital. I have become one of those crazy moms, yes crazy who don't get their kids vaccinated, not really on purpose and now I'm not real sure what I'm suppose to do.
Monday, August 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I wouldn't worry about it, but I am one of those "crazy" moms that thought about not getting Davey vaccinated and even then we only choose to have Davey get some of them and I often wish he didn't get any.
Some of the shots babies can't get after a certain age, so there's nothing you can do about it. Others you can just start doing now.
Hey, didn't you call Santa Rosa? Or did you change your mind?
Rebecca
Post a Comment